Ethanol is a Colorless liquid with a specific and burning taste. mostly produced by the fermentation of sugars by yeasts, or by petrochemical processes.it is soluble in water.
- Ethanol is present in alcoholic beverages such as beer, wine, whisky
- Use as antiseptic for sterilizing wounds.
- Used incough syrups. Digestive syrups and tonics.
- Ethanol is being mixed with petrol and used as motor fuel
- It is used as an antifreeze.
- It is used for the preparation of chloroform, idoform, ethanoic acid, ethanol, ethyl ethanoate etc.
- It is used in the Perfume industry.
Methanol, also known as methyl alcohol, carbinol, wood alcohol, wood naphtha, or wood spirits, is the simplest alcohol. Its chemical formula is CH3OH. It is a colorless, volatile, flammable liquid with a distinctive odor.
Methanol is used as a solvent, fuel, and antifreeze. Its main use, however, is in the production of other chemicals. About 40 per cent of methanol is converted to formaldehyde, which in turn is used for products such as plastics, paints, explosives, and textiles. It is added to ethanol to produce what is called denatured alcohol (that is, ethanol that has been rendered toxic), which has various uses in industry.